Korean Stamp Portal Service K-stamp

Stamp tells exciting stories! Welcome to the Korean Stamp Portal System


home Stamp Collecting Information on Korean Stamps Stamp Gallery

left menu title

  • Information on Korean stamp
    • History
    • Stamp gallery
    • Stamp Issuance Program
  • K-stamp news
  • Philatelic Focus
    • K-stamp Focus
    • Stamp Story
    • K-stamp news

Stmap Gallery

The Historic Architecture in Korea (Neo-Confucian Academies)
Stamp Picture
zoom   Shopping
클릭하면 확대되어 보입니다. 클릭하면 확대되어 보입니다.
information on Korean stamp
Date of Issue : 2021.03.11
Types : 8
Denomination : 840 won
Design :
Stamp No. : 3487
Printing Process
& Colors
: null
Size of Stamp : 50 × 30
: 2 × 2
Image Area : 50 × 30
Paper : null
Perforation : 13 × 13
Printer : POSA
Designer : Ryu,Ji-hyeong
Quantity : null
Neo-Confucian academies, called “seowon” in Korean, are private education institutions established by local literati “Sarim” which served as bases for Neo-Confucianism all throughout Korea during the Joseon dynasty. “Seowon, Korean Neo-Confucian Academies” was inscribed on the list of UNESCO`s World Cultural Heritage in July 2019 in light of their historical and cultural significance. Korea Post is issuing the commemorative stamp The Historic Architecture in Korea (Neo-Confucian Academies), featuring four selections among nine seowon from different parts of the country built from the mid-16th to the 17th century. Byeongsan-seowon, built in honor of Ryu Seong-ryong (pen name: Seoae), is situated southwest of Andong, Gyeongsangbuk-do on the slope of Hwasan Mountain by the Nakdonggang River. Ryu earned fame in Neo-Confucianism, calligraphy, writing and virtue, and is praised as a figure who contributed greatly during Imjin War (Japanese invasions of Korea). Byeongsan-seowon was used as not just an educational institute but also a public forum for expressing petitions. In particular, Mandaeru Pavilion in front of the seowon is a long open building as long as 7 kan (Korean unit of measurement) and as wide as 2 kan, and it is a beautiful building capturing the landscape of Byeongsan Mountain across the river and has recently been designated as a treasure. Piram-seowon, built in honor of the early Joseon scholar Kim In-hu (pen name: Haseo), is situated in Jangseong-gun, Jeollanam-do. It was restored in 1624 after the demolition of the Japanese Invaders, and in 1662 with receiving the plaque bearing Piram-seowon written by the king the sewon has been the most influential academic institution in the area. In 1871, many seowon were demolished through the country by the order of the government and Piram-seowon is the one of extant seowon in Jeollanam-do. The two-story Hwagyeollu Pavilion in front on flat ground shows a rare sight for seowon pavilions with its internal dancheong painted in various colors. Dodong-seowon, built on Biseulsan Mountain in Dalseong-gun, Daegu and initially called Ssanggye-seowon in 1568, was also lost during the Imjin War and rebuilt in 1605. This seowon established in commemoration of Kim Goeng-pil (pen name: Hanhwondang), received the name Dodong-seowon from the king in 1610, which is still used today. Dodong-seowon, which shows the beauty of seowon on a riverside mountain slope, has various steps for different buildings to visually harmonize with the natural environment and show a clear hierarchy between the buildings by their functions. Its entrance gate is low to make people lower their body and naturally show respect to the scholastic space. Lecture Hall, Shrine, and Walls of Dodongseowon Confucian Academy in Dalseong are also designated as a treasure No. 350, and Architectural techniques in stone steps, pillars, and stones are also unique to Dodong-seowon, which cannot be found anywhere else. Donam-seowon, built in honor of the Yehak scholar Kim Jang-saeng (pen name: Sagye) in 1634. His father Kim Gye-hwi built the Gyeonghoedang Hall, and he himself later built Yangseongdang to teach his students. Then, his students built this seowon around Gyeonghoedang and Yangseongdang, and the plaque Donam-seowon was granted and royally chartered by King Hyeonjong after his death (1660). Eungdodang Hall (Treasure No. 1569) on the left of the seowon is a building as long as 5 kan and as wide as 3 kan and serves as a historically important site since it maintains the form of an old auditorium with a wide yard, rooms in the back, and the eyebrow roof on the side. The commemorative stamp The Historic Architecture in Korea (Neo-Confucian Academies) is issued in two versions of piece and sheet. Featured on the background of the stamp sheet is a depiction of Dosan-seowon painted on a fan by Jeong Seon (pen name: Kyomjae) in honor of Yi Hwang (pen name: Toegye). We hope this stamp serves as an opportunity to inspire you to visit the four featured educational institutes of seowon boasting 500 years of tradition and cultural legacy of Korean Neo-Confucianism.